Friday, September 03, 2004

A penny for your thoughts?

As I sit here listening to the theme song to the CBS show Mr. Broadway, by who else Dave Brubeck. It's a very fast paced song with Paul Desmond at the alto sax, Joe Morello at the drums, Eugene Wright on the bass, and Dave Brubeck at the piano. Dave Brubeck seemed to do things with a piano that I as a person with little musical experience find to be absolutely amazing. For Mr. Broadway he had a 2/4 beat playing with the right hand and a 3/4 time on the left hand. This type of timing seems to be normal but other songs of his have 9/8 time, 5/4 time and the trickiest 7/4 time. The first time I heard a Dave Brubeck was on the Infinity commercial for the I-30 car. The song was Take Five, for the short duration of the commercial I felt relaxed and the world around me seemed to just melt away. The song was originally written for the drummer Joe Morello, many people would think it was written for him because of the 1.5 minute drum solo in the middle of the song. It turned out to be a really great ensemble piece.

Dave Brubeck's music for me is used every where. I have copied all his albums to our computer so I can have the music playing in the background. During the run of my radioshow on KUGS I used it as my background music because of how it's just instrumental, no vocals. It made things a little more mellow. The Song Take Five is M's and I song. You know how couples have certain songs that have special meanings? Take Five is special to us. Every now and then I put the Time Out album on and M and I will slow dance to the flowing melodies of the Dave Brubeck Quartet. One night we where working on our friend Tyrone's show "Wreck" that he put up in Fairhaven College. We all setting the set and the actors went to put their makeup on and M and I danced under a single lit stage light for about 12 minutes. It was quite enjoyable, it felt like the prom almost, but with out all the other people and the real sappy music and the disco ball. The only difference is that I got to go home with my date.

I hope one day our son will have the same appreciation and love for all the wonderful styles of music that are in this great world of ours. I have declared to M on many occasions that Adrian will be introduced and listen to Dave Brubecks songs. It may sound too early to be imposing tasks onto him, but I also don't want for it to be too late later down the road. Finally for those reading I hope my little wandering into the world of my minds eye hasn't bored anyone. As the title asks, A penny for your thoughts?

No comments: