Thursday, August 28, 2008

Passages


This evening at 5:30 P.S.T. our dear friend and companion Floyd passed away at the Fairhaven Veterinarian Hospital.  Last night he took a severe turn for the worse and we decided with discussion with the veterinarian that it would be best to end his suffering.  I've never witnessed and animal die before let alone have one pass away in my arms.  It was a quiet passing with just M, myself and the doctor in the room.  M had already made arraignments with our friend Hannah to bury Floyd on their property.  After we left the vets' we went over to Hannah's house and choose a nice quite spot in the woods to put him to rest.  We said our goodbyes and marked the spot with stones we had found around and from with in the spot we left Floyd.  

He was my first cat that I had ever had the pleasure to live with.  After M had gotten Kunnie I felt that I should adopt a cat as well.  So once we had looked on line we made the trip up to the home where Floyd was at.  We had actually gone there to see another cat when Floyd made his decision to pick me.  Where Floyd and these other cats where the foster Mom made an open outdoor enclosure for them.  It had ropes, branches and other items for the cats to climb on.  I was next to one of these branches when I felt a tug on my belt loop.  I looked down and there was a one year old Floyd looking up at me.  Both M and I took it as a sign and decided to adopt Floyd instead of the other cat.  A day or so later we went back to pick him up to bring him home.  Once we got home and Floyd had checked out our apartment he made himself right at home.  We put his bed right out side our bedroom door, and Floyd took it upon himself to guard our room from Kunnie.  He would go after her if she tried to go into the room, and also attack my feet when I was lying down on our bed.  

Admittedly it feels weird not to have him here right now.  A part of our family is gone and we will miss the cat that thought he was a dog.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss of your dear friend Floyd. I know how much he loved you, and how much he meant to you, M and Adrian. I think he showed great discernment when he chose you...he knew where he would be happiest. The memories he has left you will grow sweeter every day. RIP darling Floyd!

C/mo/G/mo