Saturday, August 20, 2005

The long, and well the long of it.

To fill everybody in on what's been going on in our lives, here it is. About two months ago now M's mom, Carol, e-mailed me with a link to a job posting that she had found online. It was for a security company that is based out of Bellingham called Guardian Security. So I called them and talked to the HR Director and he had me bring in my resume so he could meet me for an informational interview. Meaning that it's just so I could find out more about their company. He told me that he was impressed with my resume, and the extremely glowing letter of recommendation from my instructor Rob. He also told me that he would put me at the top of his list of people to call when he started the formal interview process. He told me to give him about two weeks before he would start.

So a week went by, then two, so I called him and I said who I was, and that I was just calling to tell them I was still very interested in working for them. He seemed a little surprised that I had called him, he told me that he was just waiting to be let go so he could start bringing people in for interviews. Again I waited a week and then another. Now it had been four weeks since my initial meeting with him. About four and a half weeks later I called again saying the same thing as I had said when I called at two weeks. He said he remembered me and that he would put me back at the top of his list, then he told me to wait a second. He came back on the phone and asked if I'd be interested in an On-Call position, I said to him "to be honest I'd be interested in anything you had. That next Monday he called and asked me to come on in the next Friday for a job interview and to fill out an application.

Friday rolled around and I got to the interview about 6 minutes early. Bill the guy I had been talking to met me at the door, and offered to buy a soda for me. I filled out the application and his boss came back into the room with him. The interview went really well, we talked about where I went to school, and the electrician program. During the whole interview I felt really comfortable and we all where laughing together and seemed to get along really well. Towards the end of the interview Bill told me that He was interviewing three people for the position of competence Tester. That means That I would go around to do yearly tests on customers alarms. He had one more person to interview on Monday and that I was to give him a week or so to get back to me.

As of late I haven't heard anything back from him, but I shouldn't get discouraged yet, because they have to do F.B.I background checks on everyone that they interview. The background check is done because you would be working in a security job. So there is still a bit of hope there.

Now for M's job prospect. Three weeks ago M's mom sent her a job posting through Whatcom Community College for a Program Assitant, for the Adult Basic Education, English as a Second Language, and for GED students. So M started on the long arduous task of filling out the application. She about eight questions that she had to write each write an essay for, fill out a standard application, and to gather all the information about her degree from Fairhaven. All in all it took her about a week and a half to properly fill out their application packet. When she turned in the application she also included a copy of her concentration rationale from college. The application process for that job closed on the 15th of August, and the Community College wants to start whom ever they hire on the 6th of September. Which means they haven't left them selves too much time to look over all the applications they received, and to conduct proper interviews. Hopfully we'll be hearing from either one or both of the places we've applied to. Who knows what next will have in store for us.

R.W. the title of the new comic book movie we where trying to think of is titled "Ghostrider" Starring Nicholas Cage.

No comments: